I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Technique Tuesday: Men's Birthday Card {Masking Tape Layering}

I've been MIA due to internet problems. :-( I do have a quick post to share with you though!


To create the effect of the background layer on the card above is really very simple but a bit time consuming. It's worth it though! It creates a nice effect that can even be a little rustic if you like. Here's the original.


Start with a piece of card stock and layer pieces of masking tape until the entire piece is covered as you see on the pieces below.
Once all the layering is done, do a little distressing (put a little ink on a cotton ball and rub it over the masking tape.


You're going to emboss over the entire piece, so ink up the making tape with Versamark.


It may work with just regular embossing powder, but I used a thick, clear embossing powder. Do multiple layers of embossing powder until you have the desired amount of embossing powder. You probably won't get a smooth surface, but that adds to the effect.




That's it! It is pretty simple, but tearing the masking tape does take a little while. My little guy sat next to me and layered his own masking tape (sort of :-)), so it's a good way to keep a kiddo busy too. :-)


You'll have to either use a lot of glue or some type of adhesive strips to layer on top of the embossing powder. It's a great technique to use for a guy's birthday card.






I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties.  

2 comments:

  1. That is so neat!!! Great idea!!!

    I would love for you to share this at my Flaunt It Friday link party. There are also TWO amazing giveaways this week! It closes Sunday at midnight.

    http://www.dottedlinecrafts.com/2012/03/flaunt-it-friday.html

    Looking forward to more posts,
    Sarah@
    www.dottedlinecrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I missed it! I was out of town and away from a computer this weekend. :-( I'll be sure to stop by this coming Friday though!

      Delete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!