I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Thursday, October 25, 2012

A {Simple} Mickey Mouse Costume

 
Still looking for a Halloween costume for your little one? Here’s a relatively simple costume you can put together in a few hours (maybe even faster if you buy pants instead of sewing them).

Last year my little guy was all into big semi trucks (and still is actually), so I figured it only made sense for him to dress up as a truck driver. My dad actually works for a trucking company, so it worked out great!

If you follow me on Instgram you saw that my dad even won a photo contest at work with a picture of my little guy in his uniform. Pretty cool!

On to this year...
With all the Disneyland excitement this year, I figured it only made sense for him to go with that theme, so he’s going to be Mickey Mouse! He LOVES Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so it’s perfect for that too. On top of that, I’m planning a Mickey Mouse Birthday for him in January, so we may get the costume back out and modify it a bit for that. Waste not and all that, ya know?
I tried and tried for a “happy Mickey” picture, but it just wasn't meant to be. Bribes of toy dinosaurs didn't even work (don’t judge-you know you bribe your kids too). He’s still super cute if I do say so myself.

To throw this costume together:

Top: I just bought a black t-shirt. Simple.

Pants: You could try to buy some, but I didn't even look. I thought it would be easier to make them. I followed Dana from Made’s tutorial for the Kid Pants and added large white buttons. It’s a really, really simple pattern. This is the 3rd time I've used it and it only gets easier.

Shoes: I found some plain white canvas shoes and painted them yellow with fabric paint. I looked and looked and looked and the cheapest I found were at Kmart. I’m a Target girl and never shop there, but by chance stumbled across them in a web search. Perfect!

Ears: My lovely sister ordered my little guy Disneyland Mickey Mouse ears (and even got his name embroidered on them). You could also make your own, though, following this tutorial.

Gloves: Some costumes I've seen add the gloves. Super cute, but I knew my little guy wouldn't keep them on, so I went without them. To keep it simple, you could buy white gloves. If you have a little more time, you could make them, so they're shaped a little more like Mickey's hands.

Here in Colorado we have a joke about planning our Halloween costumes around our coats. It almost always gets cold on Halloween here, so I also bought a black jacket to kind of keep the color scheme going.

All in all, it's a pretty easy costume to put together. I hope you all have a wonderful Halloween!



I'm linking at these great parties:

Mondays: Sweet Sharing Monday *  The Girl Creative * Destination: Cutesy Monday * What's In The Gunny Sack *  Made by you Monday*Make It Yourself Monday*Mop It Up Mondays*Make The Scene Monday*Make It Pretty Monday*
Tuesdays: Riverton Housewives Roundup *  Show Me What You Got * Tuesday Time Out  * Tasteful Tuesdays * Too Cute Tuesday*Tuesday's Treasures*Crafty TuesdayTrendy Tuesday
Wednesdays: Super Link Party * Show & Share * {Wow Me} Wednesday *From Dream To Reality*Create & Share*What I Whipped Up Wednesday*What We Wore & Made Wednesday*The Creative Spark Wednesdays* Milk & Cuddles*Made By Me Wednesdays*Adorned From Above*
Thursday: Pin'Inspirational Thursday Recipe Roundup *A Crafty Soiriee * Creative Thursday *Taylor House Thursday*Transformation Thursday*Hookin Up With HoH*Creative Juice Thursday*Live Laugh Linky Thursday* Link Party Thursday*Taking A Time Out Thursday*Eat Make Grow*
Fridays: Delicately Constructed Fridays * Flaunt It Friday * Financial Friday Link Up  *Friday Fun Party* Friday Flair*Pity Party*Frugal Friday*Friday Favorites*Weekend Craft Soiree*Weekend Warmth*One Creative Weekend
Saturdays: Strut Your Stuff Saturday * Once Upon A Weekend * Sharing Saturday * Dare To Share Saturday * Craft, Create and Inspire * A Pinteresting Party*Serenity Saturday
Sundays: Nifty Thrifty Sunday * It's Overflowing Sunday Party  * Cooking & Crafts Party





Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. That picture is one for the ages...love his face!

    Thanks for linking @ Creative Juice. I'm sharing your Mickey costume at Pinterest...it is a great last minute costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute!! I'm so glad that I found you, love your blog!

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I recognize that face (my son had the same look in a picture way back when he was about that big, lol). This is a super cute idea and I would love to invite you to share it or any of your other favorite posts at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop (no rules and live now). So hoping to see you and that little funny Micky Mouse there!
    Now I am off to follow in as many ways as possible:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little one loves Mickey ! I'm pinning this in case he is still obsessed next Halloween as we've already got his costume for this year. This is so nice and simple. Thanks for sharing your idea and the links. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You'll have to let me know if you make it next year. :-)

      Delete
  5. Erin,
    Love the picture of your little Mickey! I love candid shots of the kiddos. This is a super cute costume and easy to make. I love homemade costumes and when my kids where little I made all of theirs. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a simple and adorable Mickey costume. (I love the pouting Mickey pic. Priceless!) I love your idea so much that I will be featuring it on OneCreativeMommy.com later today. Please stop by and grab a featured button if you’d like. I hope you’ll be back to share more great ideas at One Creative Weekend tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been searching everywhere for a Mickey costume for my 3.5 year old and I really don't like any of them that they sell in stores. My sewing machine is broken, and honestly I'm not all that crafty, but I would love to pay you to make me a pair of these red pants for a mickey costume if you'd be willing!! Or I'd even buy your set if you're done with it. Please respond if you would be willing to help me out before halloween. :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!